Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's finally sinking in.

With school coming to an end OFFICIALLY AT 3PM TOMORROW (FRIDAY) AFTERNOON!!! What would be a normal routine on Monday is non-existent this year!! I think not being in Shakopee for the summer for the first time in 18 years is finally sinking in.  I mean my "Monday: First Day of Summer Tennis Routine" has been solid the past 9 years as a coach. Here's what a normal "Monday: First Day of Summer Tennis Routine" would be:

Monday June 14th, 2010
  • Wake up around 5am
  • Boil eggs and put in refrigerator
  • Go for a light run (6-7 miles)
  • Come back home around 6am and eat boiled eggs
  • Hop on bike and bike over to Community Center
  • Hit the weights from 7-8am
  • 8am BIKE OVER TO STANS TENNIS COURTS TO GET READY FOR THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER TENNIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 8-9am teach 3-4th graders tennis
  • 9-9:45am teach little hitters (yes the most adorable group EVER)
  • 9:45-10am have a light snack while watching Dan swing on the swing set!!
  • 10-11am teach 5-6th graders tennis
  • 11-12pm teach 7-12th graders tennis
  • 12-12:30pm HAVE LUNCH AND REFLECT ON HOW AWESOME SUMMER TENNIS IS!! Maybe throw some Office/Saved By the Bell quotes in there!! Then torment Jenny and poke the crap out of her!! Then make fun of Amy while she's sleeping for the 14th nap of the day and the day's not even half way over!! Have a little tickle fight, with Matt getting the worst of it!! Then of course making fun of Kayla and all of her pink girly accessories!! Yes, this is all in 30 minutes!!
  • 12:30-2pm teach 12U and 14U Team Tennis!!!
  • 2-3:30pm teach 18U Team Tennis!!!
  • 3:30-4pm MUCH NEEDED BREAK before 1 1/2 hours of LITTLE HITTERS!! Yes this break was CRUCIAL!! Definitely nap time for most of us, or green Aloe for those who forgot sun tan on the first day of tennis and by now is burnt to a crisp!!!:)
  • 4-5:30 teach another session of Little Hitters!!
  • 5:30-6:30pm BREAK before Adults come!! All 3 of them usually!!! And this break would definitely be NAP and quick dinner!!
  • 6:30-8pm ADULT tennis!!!
  • 8-9:30pm basically become a zombie of exhaustion but have the feelings of HOLY CRAP THIS IS THE BEST SUMMER JOB EVER!!!!!!!!:) While working on a crap load of Shakopee Tennis paperwork/online webwork/administration work!! Something Jenny SHOULD be doing but is not for Dave!!!;)
  • 10pm if lucky BEDTIME!!!! Cause 5am is coming and that means another GREAT day!!!!:)

Well Shakopee Summer Tennis this Monday you officially begin your journey without me...... hold on getting a little emotional (no sarcasm).  For 18 years, not only have you been a second family for me in the summer time, but a place that I will ALWAYS call home, no matter how old I am or how hairy my face is!! I would not be the type of person I am today without all of you and the wonderful, fun, amazing, spectacular, outstanding, fantastic, heartwarming, caring, and PERFECT times we had!! I think back to our South Dakota trips (3), Detroit trip, Wisconsin trip, Duluth trip, South Dakota trips (1 more time) and can NOT think of a more perfect place to be in the summer time!! With friends that I love and a game I treasure!!!  I think of all the friendships and faces that came and gone throughout the years I was with Shakopee (was with Shakopee, never thought I would ever be saying those words) and how close we got at some points!! All of the memories with those friendships: the annual coaches mac and cheese parties, Shakopee Inner House Tournament at the end of every summer, the parade that we dominated for years straight with best float, registration at the old log cabin, convincing Shakopee youth that tennis is the BEST sport ever at the annual Shakopee Showcase (where Tom "Bring Home the Bacon" Stenson stole me away from baseball 18 years ago and I never looked back!!:)), the special events at the Lynx game, downtown Minneapolis for Serve and Volley, TWINS GAME, trip to a certain cabin, shed sleepovers, late night movies, etc.!! For those that actually remember those they were the best!!!:) One day I will never forget out of those 18 years is July 13th, 2009........ my very last day to step on that court and teach the crap out of tennis.  Not to mention the most memorable "farewell" party any human being could ask for.......... hold on again.  You will always have a part of my heart Shakopee tennis, in fact the biggest part of my heart!!!! I hope nothing but the absolute BEST for Shakopee Tennis and I know it will only grow stronger and stronger during my minor leave of absence!! You have been left in amazing hands of the coaches and Dave-O and I have no doubt in my mind students will be enthused if not more enthused every day to come to play and learn for Shakopee Summer Tennis!!! I love all of you, and you have no idea how much I miss not being there!!!  HAVE A FANTASTICO SUMMER (ESPECIALLY ON THOSE WACKY WEDNESDAYS)!!! MISS YOU GUYS!!!! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY HAVE SOME FREAKIN FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

My only words left are............ Summer 2012!!!!!:)



















































Have a ROCKIN' summer Shakopee Tennis and THANKS for the memories!!!!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment