Sunday, August 22, 2010

A unique experience??

Well as of 12:35pm (Saturday, August 21, 2010) I said my 3 month and 28 days goodbye to the Wiebe's until I see them again in Kansas back in the states over break!!!!! But still that's 3 months and 28 days too long!!! As I took last night to kind of reflect on everything that has happen this past 1 1/2 months I realize I'm kind of in a unique predicament right now, comparing myself to the staff that I came over here with that is!! Let me explain:

-One of the few that came to Woodstock knowing NO ONE and left all friends/family behind
-The only one that has not gone home to see family and friends since arriving (going to be 1 1/2 years)
-Helped pack BOTH the Farley's and Wiebe's things before they left Woodstock for good (within a 1 1/2 month span)
-1/2 to 3/4th of the staff that I arrived with has either quit and gone somewhere else or had to go home before their 3 year contract was up (which will be end of next year)
-One of the few living alone (which I like)
-Have only been on 2 dates this entire time and have had NOOOOO relationships (good and bad)
-I've had to say goodbye to 4 really close friends (basically family over here, and within a 42 day span)
-And somehow through all of this, for the most part, managed to keep on smiling 9/10th of the time!!!:)


Now the point of this post is not for sympathy, please leave that for someone who really needs it!! I guess the point of this post is to open your eyes and see what your life is like and if you think you have it bad try walking in someone else's shoes or looking through their eyes (empathy)!! For example, I haven't seen family and friends for over a year now and won't for another 3 months and 26 days, BUT that's still not as bad as military who have 2-3 year campaigns and have to wait that entire time to see their family and friends again!! Sadly, God bless them, some don't even return for that moment when they get to hug their wife, husband, kids, father, mother, etc.!! So I'm thankful that I get to go home in 3 months and 26 days, and not have to wait another year or so!!!  I'm thankful that I've made such close friends here this past year!!! I dearly miss the family and friends back at home like you have NO idea, but to fill that void Woodstock has such unique and wonderful people that if you put yourself out there and try to make close friends/family over here it is very very easy!!:) Because, they, like you for the most part are in the same boat!!! And we know how hard it is to leave everything we are comfortable with at home and go out on an adventure on our own not knowing what to expect!!  I still revisit the quote Dave told me in my tennis goodbye video, "those who love you will still be here (Minnesota) and waiting for you when you return, so go out there and live life!"  And that's so true!! Your family and close friends who really miss you will be waiting impatiently when you return and will be waiting with open arms!! Or some may have closed shivering arms if it's freakin -30 degrees and snowing when I return to Minnesota!!! CAN'T WAIT FOR THAT FINALLY!!! A TRUE WINTER!!!;) Life is full of lessons, hardships and a variety of get knocked down and get up and do it again scenarios!! What I've learned, and this is a definite life lesson, is no matter how much you may be feeling down in the dumps or sad because of something, there will always be someone there to pick you back up again!!! Like last night, definitely feeling sad and alone, but Jen and Shooby (yes your nickname from now on), invited me over for dinner and tried their very best to give me that sense of belonging!! I will never forget that night!!!:) If you are one of the few that have no one to help you through rough times, then I truly feel for you!! Because I don't know what I would have done yesterday if I didn't have my friends along for the ride!!  To everyone out there that has helped me through rough patches of life I thank you from the bottom of my heart!! And to those who need some help getting through the rough times I will always be there for you, no matter if I'm in India or literally standing behind you ready to scare the crap out of you cause you think no one is behind you!! Those are always fun moments!!!;) Hope everyone's weekend was fun, happy and in NO way sad!!! 3 MONTHS AND 26 DAYS NOW MINNESOTA/IOWA/KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TIME WILL FLY BY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) HAPPY SMILING AND HERE'S LOOKING ON THE UP AND UP BRIGHT-SIDE!!!!!!!!!


God bless and safe travels home Wiebe's!!!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment